- It is hard to compete with Gmail for options. Email List will never be able to compete with Google on usabilty, options, or robustness.
- Users will have a lot more space. One of the reasons users wanted an LMS email solution was because space was severely limited on the previous email solution. Gmail provides more space than we can provide through Moodle ISU.
- You can organize Gmail with filters and labels. Quickmail puts the shortname of the Moodle ISU course in the subject. It is easy to set up a gmail filter to apply a label to organize course emails.
- Gmail will be less confusing for new users. One place to check email is a better choice.
- Quickmail - Gmail will have fewer bugs, easier to maintain, and be more sustainable. Email List emails consume space on ISU servers with the accompanying costs for disks and backups.
Friday, March 12, 2010
After adopting Google Apps, Quickmail wins over Email List
Since Idaho State University has adopted Google Apps for Education, Quickmail is probably a better email choice than Email List for Moodle ISU email. As a reminder Quickmail sends email though ISU email, which is now Gmail, while Email List is internal to Moodle ISU.